The Angry Sea
The ocean, so colorful and calming,
could also be a threat to swimmers and sailors and vacationers.
But unexpectedly, one of the oceans named Claire
was actually violently angry toward people –
the people that couldn’t prevent oil spills
or keep from killing thousands of sea birds and animals.
She felt so bad for the lives lost in her waters —
human beings and ocean creatures both.
She just couldn’t forget the last ocean catastrophe,
and she couldn’t forgive people with their corporations
lusting for money so much they forgot to be careful
with how they used natural resources.
Claire called upon her old friend Thunder
and his friend Lightning
to see if they held her same opinion.
“We certainly agree,” thundered her very loud friend Thunder.
Lightning, for his agreement, flashed his eyes quickly,
blinding everyone who saw him.
Since the sky was now dark,
stars, the sea’s friends,
twinkled their appearance
and joined in the discussion.
“Yes, we look small to living creatures on the earth,” they responded,
“but we are actually big,
and we are very ANGRY too.”
The outcome of this nature’s summit
was that Claire decided to do things differently.
She asked the tides to be a little more gentle
so Claire wouldn’t have to be rough in turn.
(The tides said they would try.)
Thunder and Lightning and anything else
getting Claire to act up
promised to do all they could to prevent more tragedies from happening.
So now when you see the clouds roll in but
Thunder and Lightning do not show up,
you are benefiting from the summit they had with Claire.
And one day, Thunder and Lightning hope,
they will just hang out for short little light shows but nothing harmful.
Claire is going to work on forgiveness,
and in the meantime,
she will still be a very caring agent of nature.
Long live Claire and other oceans and bodies of water like her, and their inhabitants!
- She is the Sea (mlbk7.wordpress.com)
- The Brief History of Thunder (chaosrevelation.wordpress.com)
- Down By The Sea (kidzedge.com)
- Exploring the Seven Seas (geography.answers.com)
- The Causes of Thunder and Lightening (heyrachelblog.wordpress.com)
- Thunder and Lightning … (strategiclearner.wordpress.com)
- Technical Things About Spills (spillcleanupkit.wordpress.com)
- Kumi Naidoo: An Urgent Wake Up Call to Protect our Oceans (huffingtonpost.com)
- Swimming in the dark (sunburnedinsamoa.wordpress.com)
- Ocean Tides Show the Moon at Work (geography.answers.com)